Saturday, January 17, 2015

French toast cupcakes...


My son is in a percussion ensemble.  Each week, instead of them having to drive out to get fast food for lunch, we have themed lunch and everyone brings something to contribute.  This week's theme is breakfast for lunch.  I am making a crock pot bacon, egg, hash brown and cheese casserole for them,  However, they get a little testy if I show up without cupcakes or cookies for them.  

I was looking through all of my recipes and came across this little baby.  What could be more perfect?  French toast cupcakes topped with a brown sugar streusel and then maple frosting.

Here's the recipe:

STREUSEL TOPPING
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks

 In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Mix the cold butter into the mixture by hand, squeezing the pieces in to mix it.

CUPCAKES
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.  In a large bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the butter, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and mix well, until the mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Get rid of any remaining flour by stirring the mixture by hand, with a spatula.  Place three tablespoons of batter in each prepared baking cup. Divide the streusel evenly among the cupcakes, and sprinkle it on each one. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean..

FROSTING
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 lb. (4 cups) confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Beat the butter on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar until combined. Stir in the vanilla, salt, and syrup. Add the heavy cream and whisk on high for 4 minutes.

After you frost the cupcakes, shake some cinnamon and powdered sugar over the top to finish the cupcakes and add that last special touch.  

I could not help myself...I had to try one of these cupcakes.  They were calling to me..whispering sweet nothings in the wind.  I have never had very good willpower, so I caved and tried one.  Oh my goodness.....it was so delicious.  It tasted just like french toast. 

I cannot wait for the kids to try them tomorrow.  I hope they realize how spoiled they are...and loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment