Monday, December 14, 2015

Lion cake

I have a friend, whom I have known for a very long time.  She now happens to live on the same street as me.  She has a total of 4 children.  He baby, the only boy, had a birthday recently.  Mom asked me to do the cake, which of course I said yes.  She asked me if I could do a lion.  Ummm...sure.  I'll try anything once.  She then showed me a picture of this child's favorite stuffed toy, a lion, and asked me to get as close to it as I could.  No pressure!

I asked her the usual questions about flavor, filling, etc.  I was really thankful she did not want a three-dimensional cake.

I used my tried and true, go-to chocolate cake recipe:

2 C flour
2 C sugar
6 Tbsp cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 C warm water
2/3 C oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla (or 1/2 tsp mint) extract

As she was expecting a fairly big crowd, I actually made two cakes, one recipe in a 16 in. round pan.  I used standard buttercream between the layers and to crumb coat the cake.  I then cheated, went to Wal-Mart and got one of their flesh tone pre-made fondant kits.  I only put the fondant on the top of the cake because I needed to make a lion's mane around the outside anyway.  

The only thing I was really disappointed about was that mane.  I tried my "hair/grass" tip.  No go.  I have hot hand syndrome (don't laugh, it's a thing) so after the first few bits, the buttercream was coming out in a big blob.  PLUS...did I mention it was a 16 inch round cake?  That's a LOT of piping with the hair tip.  Soooo...take 2 was a star tip.  I got the entire mane piped on, allowed it to chill again in the fridge.  Then, I took the tines of a fork to make it look like the stuffed animal with a mane that had seen better days.  

Anyway, here is the end result.  Mom loved it, the little boy loved it.  I was less than 100% pleased, but I'm not the one who mattered...


No comments:

Post a Comment